A list of Best Xbox 360 Multiplayer Games to play and have fun !
Before entering the xbox 360 multi-player gaming world, have you asked yourself that how many multiple controllers you own from which how many are wireless? If you are confused with the list of gadgets then you should check out the list which consists of all the accessories that can be imagined for your Xbox 360.
Now let’s talk about multi player games as you are ready and pimped.
A brief overview and history of Multiplayer Games
More than one user can play the same game in the multiplayer video games within the very same environment and at the same time. Usually video games are designed for singular play which involves the pitting of a player that also against some pre-programmed and pre-defined challenges. Also they may come with computer generated opponents with Artificial Intelligence, but these opponents lacks flexibility that humans have.
Multiplayer games were introduced which allow the players to interact with each other to create a better playing experience for gamers. Inter-player partnership or rivalries are involved in these interactions depending on the game which allows the players to have social communication that is completely absent in the games that are designed for single player.
All the players are required in the game to share a game system, along with the advancement in technology and networking which allows players to play the same game at their specific time that also over long distances.
There are two types of multiplayer games:
Non-networked: All were non-networked games played on a single system by two or more players when these multi-player games were introduced. The first platform in 1973 was PLATO system on which the real-time multiplayer games were developed. Sports games like Tennis and Pong were the earliest two-player video games after which shooter games like ‘Space war!’ and so on were introduced. ‘Empire’ was the famous and popular game developed on this system which came out in 1973 and ‘Spasim’ was the first-person shooter in 1974.
Networked: ‘Netplay’ are the games with modes for networked gaming came much later after the internet boom. In 1991, Spectre was the first video game to offer a LAN mode was released and was designed and developed for Apple’s Macintosh. Doom was the next game which had to be mentioned as a pioneer of network play and was released in 1993. Its first version allowed four players who would simultaneously play on a network. Networked games which use LAN for the connection do not have the problem of Lag which usually is mortally frustrating.
E-mail for the communication between multiple computers are used for some multi-player games and are known as ‘Play-by-email’ games. ‘Play-by-post gaming’ and ‘Play-by-Internet’ games are the other network games in which players don’t need to be simultaneously online.
Massively multi-player games are another kind of network game which is played by a huge number of gamers at once. There are two types of massively-multiplayer game genres, these are MMORPG and MMORTS.
The different types of Multiplayer online games, with the popular titles listed with them are listed over here:
- Street Fighter series
- Ultimate Marvel v/s Capcom 3
- Mortal Kombat series
- UFC series
- WWE series
- NFL series
- FIFA series
- NBA series
- NHL series
Older online games
- Sega Meganet titles
- Minecraft series
- Battlefield series
- Resistance series
- Unreal Tournament series
- Quake series
- Team Fortress series
- Call of Duty series
Strategy video games
- Warcraft 3
- Plants v/s Zombies
Multiplayer online battle arena
- Defence of the Ancients
- Heroes of Newerth
- League of Legends
- Dota 2
NetLink was the first console with the capability to allow its users to play with their friends over a network and was released by Sega in 1996. After that Game.com came in 1997 after which the Dreamcast arrived in 2000. For network gaming, all these consoles supported the use of LAN or internet. Now, even wireless games are offered by mobile devices and handheld consoles.
Microsoft’s Xbox 360 stands out for multiplayer gaming, out of all the gaming consoles available today which can be attributed to its online service Xbox Live, which is the world’s largest as well as most lively gaming community.
Best Multiplayer Games for Xbox 360 (2017)
If you want to check out all the Multiplayer games available for the console, you can find a comprehensive list here as below is a list of the most enjoyable multiplayer games available for Xbox 360:
#10 Street Fighter Series
Capcom’s Street Fighter or SF is a multiplayer fighting game which showcases characters with different origins. Each player has his/her unique style of fighting. In 1987 Capcom was released for the first time and had been its second best-selling game franchise and is loved all over the world. The different versions of the game are:
- 1987 – Street Fighter
- 1991 – Street Fighter II series
- 1995 – Street Fighter Alpha series
- 1996 – Street Fighter EX series
- 1996 – Capcom Crossover series
- 1997 – Street Fighter III series
- 2008 – Street Fighter IV series
- 2016 (scheduled) – Street Fighter V
Additional multiplayer resonant modes are introduced in the game like: Team Battle, in which maximum number of 8 players can fight it out together; an Endless Battle mode, in which a rotation of group of 8 players is done again and again to fight with each other. Originally panned by early critics, Capcom certainly proved them wrong with the game’s success both online and in console arcades for seeming like nothing more than a quick cash grab.
Latest Version: Street Fighter IV
- It comes with a 3D engine which showcases stunning environments and characters while it retains its old-school Classic “2D” game play,
- Focus attacks, Super Combos, and the Ultra Combo (which is fuelled by revenge) are the various number of special moves that will blow any fan’s mind.
- Favorites have returned to the game with many new Street Fighter characters which were created exclusively for the latest version like Guile, Chun-Li, Ryu and Ken.
- Additions of many new amazing locations have been done.
- With newer unique game-play systems, the developers have done an exquisite job of mixing the classic game-play of this genre-defining game.
- It comes with additional online gaming modes which allow you to instantly connect to online challenges or it also allows you to play in a tournament etc.
Minecraft was developed by Markus “Notch” Persson as a single player sandbox video game which was then picked by Mojang which was to be published across different platforms. The flawlessly fluent design and the creative depth of the game make it very invigorating. It enables its players to creatively use the environment provided which allows them to construct buildings using nothing but just the textured cubes. Various activities like gathering, exploration and combat etc are offered by the game.
In 2012 end, mine-craft was first released for Xbox 360. The title for consoles was co-published by 4J Studios. Single player game was the first version of the game on Xbox but soon multiplayer mode was added which became the most played multiplayer game on Xbox 360.
It can be enjoyed by the whole family is the popularity of this game is mainly due to the fact. The multiplayer mode of the game has garnered good reviews from various site like Metacritic which had scored it to be 82, IGN scored it an overall 8.5/10.
- IGN Score: 8.5/10
- Game-Spot: 7.0/10
- Introduction of the new interface was very compliant for crafting and was very easy to set up too.
- Some rating done on the game is poor due to graphics, but the visual satisfaction given by the iconic game visuals is very rare. Along with that the sound is also very good.
- The intuitive game-play of Mine-craft allows you to be as creative as you can but usually games borrowed from PC to consoles usually don’t satisfy the players.
- Getting addicted to cocaine is not so easy as getting addicted to it.
#8 Left 4 Dead Series
Turtle Rock Studios developed Left 4 Dead as a co-operative FPS which had survival and horror elements. The game was published by Valve Corporation which uses its in-house Source engine.
This one is set in the aftermath of a pandemic, which destroyed the world from the publishers of some great co-op games which included four protagonists or the Survivors, which were pitted against a horde of infected people.
The different game modes available in the game are:
- Single-player mode: In this mode you control one of the four characters and all others are controlled by AI
- A four-player, co-op campaign mode: This is the most enjoyable mode, as you can play it with your friends
- An eight-player online versus mode: In this mode there are 4 boss Zombies or Infected people which are also controlled by players
- A four-player survival mode
Latest Version: Left 4 Dead 2
- It boasts of one of the finest co-operative game-plays. The tactical teamwork needed in the game makes it one of the best multiplayer games.
- Not only the game-play in Left 4 Dead 2 has improved, the number of game modes available has increased too. The visual style has also seen an improvement.
- When it comes to the emphasis of teamwork and strategy the game stands head and shoulders above any game and treats the players with one of the best team-based multiplayer gaming experience.
#7 Red Dead Series
Rock star Games developed Red Dead and is a western styled action-adventure video game series. The franchise which was distributed by Take-Two Interactive, the one who had sold more than 14 million units worldwide.
Games in this series include the following games:
- Red Dead Revolver is set in the late 1800s, the story follows the life story of Red Harlow, who is a bounty hunter. The plot which is based on a revenge story in which Harlow finds out the plot and finds out the people who are responsible for killing his parents was originally designed and developed by Capcom, and then it was bought by Rockstar Games.
- Red Dead Redemption & Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare – This is the second game of the series and its extension episode. The game takes place in year 1911. The game-play, visuals, story and music of is terrific and is praised by critics and fans. “A former outlaw hell bent on exact revenge from his former friends and gang members” is the storyline followed by John Marston.
The entirely different game experience is the multiplayer mode of the game which introduces the Rock-star’s trademark ‘free roam’ mode for the game that can be thoroughly enjoyable. There are two modes of co-operative game-play and a competitive game-play that allows up to 16 players in the multiplayer mode.
#6 Forza Motorsport Series
Turn 10 studios developed Forza Motorsport and are one of the most critically acclaimed racing game franchises. It was published by Microsoft Studios and the developers of the game wanted to create an emulation which is as near to the handling characteristics and performance of a real race car as possible.
The motorsport series had a limited accessibility, to overcome this, the franchise came up with Forza Horizon. This attempt to increase its accessibility by setting the game in a racing festival, happening in Colorado, the racing festival is named ‘Horizon’. Open-world environments are offered by these series which can be explored by the players. The realistic physics and the wide variety of cars available for the players make the gaming experience very nice. Adding to some more points, the graphics of the game are top-notch and give that additional immersive experience.
The strongest component of the series is the multiplayer mode. This mode allows the players to completely customize their cars with designs of their own mind and also has a multiplayer chase mode which is enjoyable.
The Game has two series in which there are a total of 8 games:
- 2005 – Forza Motorsport
- 2007 – Forza Motorsport 2
- 2009 – Forza Motorsport 3
- 2011 – Forza Motorsport 4
- 2013 – Forza Motorsport 5
- 2015 – Forza Motorsport 6
- 2012 – Forza Horizon
- 2014 – Forza Horizon 2
- With 60 fps latency, the game boasts of high definition graphics and stunning realism.
- On the Le Mans’ stretch, you can feel the intensity and danger of racing at night under the bright lights in the stadium and utter darkness.
- When racing in heavy rain the vipers working at full speed can barely clear the windshield and the tires drift and hydroplane across puddles, the game-play was developed to give you an immersive feeling.
- With 10 new tracks you can tour up to 26 world-famous locales available in the game.
- On top of that the online spectating takes the competiveness of the game to an entirely different level; the Forza Race Leagues give a feel of professional racing.
#5 Battlefield Series
EA DICE developed the Battlefield franchise and is an FPS. It was published by Electronic Arts and this series largely focuses on huge, online multiplayer battles. A new theme of Cops v/s Robbers is included in the latest title of the series.
Battlefield titles available for Xbox 360 include:
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
- Battlefield: Bad Company
- Battlefield 1943
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- Battlefield 3
- Battlefield 4
- Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield Hardline is the latest edition of the game which comes with different modes, these include:
Heist: Criminals have to break into a vault filled of cash in this mode and then they need to move the stolen cash to some pre-planned extraction place. The police then needs to try to stop them from doing so and if the criminals somehow manage to escape, they will win otherwise the cops would be the winners.
Blood Money: This mode has two factions of players in which both the groups have to retrieve cash from a crate placed somewhere in the map. Once they have done the first part then the players need to move the money back to their armored truck. They are even allowed to steal money from the armored truck of the opposing team. By depositing the stolen $5 million into their respective team’s truck the game can be won, there is a time limit mode available; in this the fraction which has collected more money in a fixed time limit is the winner.
Hotwire: This mode allows you to capture cars by driving your car above a pre-defined speed limit which in turns bleeds the competitor’s reinforcement tickets. The team with the lowest tickets loses and vice-versa.
Rescue: This mode has 3 minute 5 on 5 competitions, in which the S.W.A.T needs to try to rescue some hostages. The cops have to rescue the hostages or kill all the criminals to win whereas the criminals can win by murdering the cops. There are no ripsaws in this mode.
Crosshair: This is the second competitive mode in Hard line like rescue it is also 3 minutes, 5 on 5 with no ripsaws. In this mode the criminals have to kill a witness, who was formerly a gang member, if they are successful in killing the VIP, they would be the winners. The cops have to get the VIP to a pre-defined extraction point to win the game.
#4 Call of Duty Series
‘Black ops III’ is the latest installment in the Call of Duty series. Two modes of Black Ops III are the features of Xbox360: Multiplayer and Zombies. With a new breed of Bad-ass soldiers, the game is set in a future timeline. The game does not have a campaign mode and the graphics aren’t that impressive either resulting that the game has not impressed the fans.
The franchise is developed by Activision as a FPS game and since its release on Xbox 360 with Call of Duty 2 in 2005 the series has sold more than 175 million titles. This amounts up to sale worth over $10 billion.
The different games of the Call of Duty series are:
- Call of Duty in the year 2003
- Call of Duty 2 in the year 2005
- Call of Duty 3 in the year 2006
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in the year 2007
- Call of Duty: World at War in the year 2008
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in the year 2009
- Call of Duty: Black Ops in the year 2010
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in the year 2011
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II in the year 2012
- Call of Duty: Ghosts in the year 2013
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in the year 2014
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III in the year 2015
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare in the year 2016
The Good: Though the latest installment of the epic COD series has disappointed users, it has a metacritic user score of 5.4 along with its very slick and smooth game play that has impressed specialists and has garnered high rating from IGN (9.1) and Metacritic (8.1). The un-lockable-s in this new version are crazy good consisting of some seriously insane weaponry. If you can’t play multiplayer a new perfectly enjoyable Zombie mode is also there.
#3 Gears of War series
Gears of War: The latest title of the series is Ultimate Edition. Designed by Epic Games and developed by The Coalition this is the epic third-person shooter game.
As compared to other shooter games, the game experience of multiplayer mode of Gears is very different. It is very popular amongst critics and users. Also, it has garnered very high ratings from Metacritic, IGN and Gamespot. Because of its cover-based combat which enables the players to think creatively it has won many yearly awards too. Games in this series are:
- Gears of War
- Gears of War 2
- Gears of War 3
- Gears of War: Judgment
- Gears of War 4
#2 FIFA series
FIFA 16 is the latest installment of this sport game. It was released in late 2015, and introduced women players in the game for the very first time. Design and development of FIFA Football/Soccer was under the EA sports label which has been owned by Electronic Arts. The game was introduced on Xbox 360 with FIFA 06, whereas FIFA 08 was developed on a new game engine which was created specifically for Xbox 360 console system.
Each newer version the graphics of the game makes it better and better. The development team of the game comes up with a little better game play each and every time. As all titles of the series 16 is very addictive, especially in the multiplayer mode.
- The latest version of the series has been introduced including a plethora of new innovative features which include: newer and better game plays elements with better and more defined defending along with the better control in the midfield.
- FIFA 16 comes with the option of choosing from 12 Women’s National Teams introducing Women’s National Teams that are as follows: Italy, Spain, Brazil, Germany, England, USA, France, Sweden, Canada, Australia, China, and Mexico.
- More than 15 million fans are there in the online community of the game which allows gamers to interact and compete with this humongous fan base.
- Driven by real-world football news FIFA 16 consists of live challenges in which you can compete and complete these challenges to earn rewards, which then can be used to unlock a number of in-game items.
- Games that are on similar lines cater to different sports like: Ice-hockey, American football, and basketball etc.
- EA sport’s Madden NFL 16is an American football video game which emulates the National Football League.
- NHL 16is a hockey video game, it is developed and published by EA Sports. This is the 25th instalment of this series of games.
- 2k Games’ NBA 2K16is the latest title in the NBA 2K franchise which is the best basketball emulation game out there.
#1 Halo Series
Halo is one of the most popular game titles out there as it had a huge cultural and social effect which is almost as much as Star Wars. It is a military sci-fi FPS video game franchise and was originally created by Bungie, but now it is developed and managed by 343 Industries. The company is a subsidiary of Microsoft Studios, which does the publication of the franchise.
Storyline: The interstellar war happening between humanity and Covenant is followed by the franchise, which is a theocratic alliance of aliens and was led by Prophets. Prophets are the religious leaders who worship Forerunners which is an ancient civilization which perished due to the parasitic Flood. Master Chief John-117 is the protagonist of the franchise who is one of the super-soldier of the group of super-soldiers named ‘Spartans’ whereas another main character is Cortana who is John’s artificially intelligent companion.
“Halo” refers to the Halo rings that are referred to the large and habitable super weapons created to destroy the parasitic Flood. More than 65 million copies are sold by the Halo franchise.
Given below are the franchise has the following titles in its bag :
- 2001 – Halo: Combat Evolved
- 2004 – Halo 2
- 2007 – Halo 3
- 2009 – Halo Wars & Halo 3: ODST
- 2010 – Halo: Reach
- 2011 – Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- 2012 – Halo 4
- 2013 – Halo: Spartan Assault
- 2014 – Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- 2015 – Halo: Spartan Strike & Halo 5: Guardians
- 2016 (scheduled) – Halo Wars 2
The latest title in the franchise is Halo 5: Guardians, but currently it is exclusively available for Xbox One.
- Firstly, you can enjoy the classic Halo combat mode, just as the previous versions of the game, just with better graphics.
- The new co-operative modes are thoroughly entertaining.
- The new game mechanics, especially for movement are top notch and blends in perfectly with the game’s game play.
- New set-pieces introduced are brilliantly made.
- Xbox One’s fantastic visuals were introduced in the game with the make a very visually satisfying game by the new Alien worlds.
- The War-zone and Arcade modes in the game are brilliant and heavily addictive.
- The pace of the game never lets you put your guard down as the multiplayer mode is especially spectacular.
Comment away in the comment space below if you have any suggestions for the list, or you don’t agree with some title on it, don’t feel like a stranger.